HughesNet "clock" is off?

The HN7000S is the latest satellite router for the Ku-Band platform. HughesNet's Ku-Band platform offers high-speed Internet via satellite in locations not covered by HughesNet's Ka-Band platform (Spaceway).

HughesNet "clock" is off?

Postby orange34 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:19 am

Hi everyone,

I will try to keep this simple: As you may or may not know, HughesNet implements a "free download period" between 2 and 7 a.m. Eastern Standard Time.

Anyway, I thought HughesNet had gotten better about the whole Fair Access Policy, by adding this, and more recently showing your actual download bucket in the control panel (something they used to keep very secret and you had to try to monitor on your own). Also, the one free FAP release "token" per month is a nice extra.

However, just when I thought they might be getting a little more on the up and up, I noticed that I was starting to hit the FAP limit almost every day. The simple reason being is that I usually download up to about 400 MB before I got to bed (my plan is 425 MB). Then I set my download scheduler to run during the free time, shutting off at exactly 7 a.m.

Yet, almost every morning I'd get up I was FAPPed (or however you would spell that - lol). Well, I think the answer is pretty simple. My free period is ending around 6:40 a.m., not 7!

Personally, especially judging by the company's past, I automatically suspected they were trying to pull a fast one on us. Not only are they cheating out of 19+ minutes of bandwidth, but doing this encourages people to run over their limit if they let their downloads run to 7 a.m. (It's very easy to download 200+ MB in this period of time, so there's not much room for error).

I actually wrote to their corporate headquarters, and somebody there returned my call seeming very concerned about my problem, but in the end they just gave me the runaround like I didn't know what I was doing and it was my fault for getting going over the limit. The guy also kept assuming I was failing to convert my time zone as I'm on central time, but I'm obviously not stupid...

I've gone through tech support regarding this at least three times, the last time being with the “4th Tier” support (American, wow!) - and this guy clearly saw and acknowledged the problem. He said he would pass this case along to the technicians and they would look into it and give me a call. But so far, nothing....

I would really like to confirm if anyone else is having this issue(?) I'd imagine a lot of people may not notice, which is why I believe HughesNet is doing this – and then denying it.

But I think it would be “funny” if everyone confirmed this – because then we really might have a case.. In my opinion, this amounts to false advertising:

http://customercare.myhughesnet.com/fap_faqs.htm

How is the Fair Access Policy applied during the middle of the night?

Currently, you can use your HughesNet service for several hours during the middle of the night (the "Download Period") with relaxed application of the Fair Access Policy. The actual hours of the Download Period depend on the HughesNet Equipment platform you are using. The hours of unrestricted use shall begin no later than 2:00 AM and end no earlier than 7:00 AM eastern time.

Hey, if they want to change the free period from 2 to 6:40 and put it in writing on their page, I'd settle for that – but of course that would be totally silly. I'm just tired of being cheated, that's all.

Another way to test this is that if you are “FAPPed,” and your status isn't supposed to reset for a very long time, your speeds will resume back to normal during the free period no matter what, but then they will cut off around 6:40 a.m. EST If you are experiencing the same problem as me.

However, the simplest way to check it is to start watching your download allowance status which can be viewed through the system control panel, which is at URL192.168.0.1 for me. I would start watching around 6:35. If your bucket starts draining any time before 7, then something is up!

(And don't forget to adjust for your time zones – lol.)

I've actually noticed a similar problem a few years ago, but the time offset was no as severe – more like 5 to 10 minutes, and then it eventually went away after a few months. I should have said something back then, but I was just glad when it went back to normal.

And now this... Am I really the only one? I doubt it! :twisted:
orange34

Return to HN7000S