Flashing Amber Rx and Tx

Automated satellite TV and Internet antennas for the recreational vehicle market.

Re: Flashing Amber Rx and Tx

Postby JDS » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:52 pm

bnOd wrote:There is another thing that can be done to improve searches for 123, and that's to input a decent search frequency.

For D3 users, that would be the Frequency in the configuration, while for D4 users it would be set by telnet using the searchfreq command.

The best frequency I could find was 1220.

The D4 default of 1489 is terrible on 123, and the often-recommended 1250 is not much better.

I just talked to Matt, who maintains the tables at Motosat, and he's doing a 123V scan as I type this; hopefully a new table will be published soon.

bnOd,

The frequency to lock onto is 11974.0MHz Ku-band or 1224.0MHz L-band. At 1224MHz there is an 11Mbps outbound carrier that I would hope would be easy to lock onto. Thanks.

Regards,
JDS
JDS

Postby bnOd » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:20 pm

JDS, Matt at Motosat produced a table recently that fixes the 123 vertical receive problem. Now all they have to do is publish it.

I can post a copy, but I would prefer that they do so.

At my location 1220 was stronger than 1224, but with an 11Mbps carrier there would be a range of values from 1219 to 1229 that should work. I do prefer to use center-of-signal if I know what it is.
bnOd

Postby JDS » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:28 pm

bnOd wrote:JDS, Matt at Motosat produced a table recently that fixes the 123 vertical receive problem. Now all they have to do is publish it.

I can post a copy, but I would prefer that they do so.

At my location 1220 was stronger than 1224, but with an 11Mbps carrier there would be a range of values from 1219 to 1229 that should work. I do prefer to use center-of-signal if I know what it is.

bnOd,

The exact center frequency of the 11Mbps carrier is 1224MHz. Thanks.

Regards,
JDS
JDS

Postby ekima » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:43 pm

JDS wrote:
ekima wrote:Can AtContact confirm that there has been no changes to the downstream carrier since the last time you were online? If a provider changes bit_rates, moduations scheme, or FEC on the downstream carrier you can end up with a similiar status.

I would venture to say that your problem is one of two things:

1. There has been a change to the downstream carrier (MODCOD, bitrate, etc). If this is the case, a new opt would cure it.

2. Your system is not pointing as well as it should be.

You mentioned that the system locked up Friday. Were you on the network (TX/RX/NET) or did the dish drive to what it thought was the 123W?

I cant (and wont even try to) speak to the Datastorm pointing. I will leave that to the pros. I have a ton of auto-acquire experience but ZERO with the way these Datastorms operate.

ekima,

I can confirm there have been no changes whatsoever to ATCONTACT's outbound carrier that neekall is trying to lock onto. As always - Thank you for your assistance.

Regards,
JDS

JDS, I am no authority around here, or anywhere on the commercial side but thanks for the follow thru. It is nice to see that folks are watching/listening. :)
ekima

Postby neekall » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:13 pm

Thank you everyone for helping to solve this problem, especially since my business will really begin again the first week of December and I need to be online for my students. Because of PET scans and oncologists meetings I have not wanted to do anything related to the dish. Next week will be my quiet day to concentrate on the dish and any issues that may arise.

JDS I would normally follow the protocol and call MotoSat first but have you suggested that if I am having an issue and cannot contact MotoSat, that ATCONTACT will be willing to help?

Thank you everybody, this is such a great website. ekima, I do like reading your posts. Don't understand much of the english but they do make me do my own research, thank you.
neekall

Postby JDS » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:17 pm

neekall wrote:Thank you everyone for helping to solve this problem, especially since my business will really begin again the first week of December and I need to be online for my students. Because of PET scans and oncologists meetings I have not wanted to do anything related to the dish. Next week will be my quiet day to concentrate on the dish and any issues that may arise.

JDS I would normally follow the protocol and call MotoSat first but have you suggested that if I am having an issue and cannot contact MotoSat, that ATCONTACT will be willing to help?

Thank you everybody, this is such a great website. ekima, I do like reading your posts. Don't understand much of the english but they do make me do my own research, thank you.

neekall,

At the teleport we do not claim to be experts with all the various MotoSat controllers but Yes we are always willing to help a customer get on-line whenever we can. The folks here on this web site seem to be very attentive and knowledgeable and that is a very good thing. Whenever you have issues and are unsure whether or not the problem could be your signal emanating from the teleport, please don't hesitate to call us and that goes for everyone using our service. Thank you for being a customer.

Regards,
JDS
JDS

Postby neekall » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:08 pm

Thank you's go out to Jessica, Jason and JD. I was able to get on line and was able to call ATCONTACT for testing help. Initial SNR was 9.3 but with manual tweaking of the dish we were able to move the SNR to 16.6. Signal quality of course went from 71 to 100. The most significant changes occurred while tweaking the Elevation. Azimuth and Skew made some improvements but not nearly as much as Elevation. Now I have the formula for making the Skew adjustment in the D3 configuration page but what about Azimuth and Elevation? What might cause these items to change since the bus has not moved location since April?
Very nice to get the help from MotoSat and ATCONTACT.
neekall

Postby neekall » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:13 pm

All problems solved. Thanks go out to Daniel Anderson at MotoSat support for sending the latest firmware and sat table which solved the manually tweaking and not locking on issues. Directions for updating are very clear except about that part of reminding the modem about what password I was using (-35 error). Thanks go out to Phil Edwards for reminding me and walking me through setting the correct password for the modem. Someone buy those guys lunch for a job well done.
neekall

Previous

Return to MotoSat